Our MissionOur mission is to engage law students to bring justice to those in need in their community. We do this by operating a free law school clinic in which law students provide free Unemployment Insurance (UI) advice and advocacy for area unemployed Michiganders. Originally established in 2010 as the Michigan Unemployment Insurance Project (MiUI), we operated as an independent student pro bono project until Fall 2014 when we were brought in house at the Michigan Law as a clinic.
1st year law students, under the supervision of an experienced attorney, receive course credit to provide free Unemployment Insurance advice and representation to UI claimants. We provide not only a practical experience opportunity for students to develop real world advocacy skills but also an opportunity for them to engage their community in significant and meaningful ways.
Free Community Services Offered By Students
· Advice regarding the UI claims process
· Advocacy with the Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) at initial stages of the claims process
· Representation at administrative hearings, the Michigan Compensation Appellate Commission, the Circuit Court, and the Michigan Court of Appeals
· Policy analysis on emerging issues affecting UI claimants in Michigan
· Public education materials and workshops for the unemployed and those that work with them.
Our Contact Details
801 Monroe Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
Fax: (734) 707-4881