Our MissionEstablished in 2010, the mission of the Michigan Unemployment Insurance Project (MiUI, pronounced “my-u-eye”) is to engage law students to bring justice to those in need in their community. We do this by operating a free law school clinic in which law students provide free Unemployment Insurance (UI) advice and advocacy for area unemployed Michiganders. In January, 2015, MiUI merged with the Michigan Advocacy Program. The Michigan Advocacy Program's direct service components are Legal Services of South Central Michigan and Farmworker Legal Services. MAP provides administrative services to several statewide programs, including MiUI. These statewide programs are all housed at Michigan PLP, LLC.
MiUI partners with the University of Michigan Law School to operate a The Unemployment Insurance Clinic in which 1st year law students provide free help to UI claimants. Un the clinic, under the supervision of an experienced attorney students provide Unemployment Insurance free advice and representation to unemployed Michiganders. We provide not only a practical experience opportunity for students to develop real world advocacy skills but also an opportunity for them to engage their community in significant and meaningful ways.
Free Community Services Offered By Students
· Advice regarding the UI claims process
· Advocacy with the Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) at initial stages of the claims process
· Representation at administrative hearings, the Michigan Compensation Appellate Commission, the Circuit Court, and the Michigan Court of Appeals
· Policy analysis on emerging issues affecting UI claimants in Michigan
· Public education materials and workshops for the unemployed and those that work with them.
Our Contact Details
801 Monroe Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
Fax: (734) 707-4881